Automotive Body-In-White & Chassis Assembly System Supplier
Modular design with tooling and machine manufacturing capabilities
With more than 24 years of experience in designing, manufacturing and integrating automotive body-in-white and chassis assembly systems, our company has been serving global vehicle makers and automotive Tier 1 suppliers with integral automated assembly system for their factories.
The automotive body-in-white assembly system consists of quality checking fixtures, hemming system which incorporates nine patented hemming technologies, and welding assembly system that uses several joining technologies such as spot welding, laser welding, and sealing. Having the in-house capability to do layout design, tooling design, machine manufacturing and full system integration gives us an advantage as a leading body-in-white and chassis assembly line system provider.
Body-In-White Welding Assembly System Manufacturer | Chassis Assembly System
Building automotive body structure platforms is a significant capital investment for automotive manufacturers. Consequently automotive-body-structure-platform-sharing and standardization is the reason behind the high demand for modular assembly lines for body-in-white. Building body-in-white production lines with modular and reconfigurable design requires not only robotic programming, system integration capabilities and experience, but also in-depth tooling and machine manufacturing experience and capabilities. Our in-house tooling and machine manufacturing facilities and design team gives us a great advantage over other system integrators with body-in-white robotic assembly line capabilities.
As a long-term Tier 1 supplier to both passengers and commercial vehicle body structure production lines, we’re experienced with many joining technologies for main frames, sub-frames and structural component assemblies, and the use of structural materials such as steel and aluminum alloys. Various joining methods have been deployed including laser welding.
Automotive Moving Parts Hemming System
Hemming quality affects the appearance and final quality of a vehicle, since it joins the inner and outer closure panels of trunk-lid, tailgates, hood, sun roof, fenders, doors and wheel arches and other moving add-on automotive parts that determine the overall look of the car. Because hemming quality is a key factor in applying the final touches to automotive moving parts, our robot programming capabilities, and multiple interchangeable tools for the roller heads, servo motor capability and hybrid hemming system enable us to excel among hemming system providers.
Press Hemming System
These press hemming systems recycle press frames to switch among various upper-and-lower hemming dies that are exclusive to one panel sets. All hemming dies are designed and manufactured in-house, and a hydraulic source powers the press hemming system.
Robot Controlled Roller Hemming System
Robot controlled roller hemming system that uses industrial robots with roller-hemming heads are used extensively for rear doors, hoods, and trunks. Because hemming determines the final quality of a vehicle, and the appearance of its panels, hemming accuracy is crucial to provide the finishing touches to the automotive body.
Roller Hemming Quality Control Strategy
- Strength in robot roller hemming systems comes from the programming capability to strictly control the hemming head’s angle and direction and the tooling design capability to change among a wide range of tools.
- For hemming flexibility hemming roller heads can adjust up to 130˚.
- Panels are hemmed in increments instead of hemming in one process. This enables operators to make minor changes in the hemming process when quality issues arise.
- Constant hemming pressure is maintained using pneumatic pressure and monitoring the pressure with an embedded sensor and PC connection.
- Hemming speed can go up to 250mm/s.
- Hemming force can go up to 150 kgf.
- Patented roller head technology uses three cylinders and one roller head for straight and smooth operations. This technology is most suitable for straight panels such as the automotive sunroof.
Servo Motor Hemming System
Servo motor hemming system implements roller hemming systems and hemming punching units for demanding mass production processes. Our servo motor hemming system guarantees efficient process time, and ensures that there is no quality dispersion resulting from the differences in robots’ operation skills. Our servo hemming system is widely used by global vehicle makers with a wide range of production requirements.
Servo Hemming Advantages
- Hemming quality is maintained by controlling the hemming pressure force and pressing time
- Patented servo motor hemming technology operates pre-punch and main punch hemming in one step and shortens the hemming cycle time
- Minimal floor space is required for efficient overall line configuration
- Hydraulics are eliminated to improve noise control and the operators’ work environment and reduce running cost
- Configuration mechanism is simplified
- The top section of this hemming system is open for easier and safer maintenance and repair
- Hemming quality is strictly controlled using sequential operation of each hemming unit, controlling pressing speed, power position and time. By using HMI in exert mode, we can set up the acceleration, deceleration, speed, position, time and torque for each job
Servo Motor Hemming Punch Unit Layout on Automotive Body-In-White Exterior Components
Pre-Welding Systems: Quality Checking Fixtures
Screw Body Technology
The accuracy of the degree of Body-In-White assembly and add-on parts (moving parts) has a direct impact on safety. We design by checking fixture systems for Body-In-White and moving parts for quality inspection before they are permanently assembled by welding, sealing and hemming. Our checking fixtures use screw bodies to temporarily assemble and lock in the body-in-white for thorough and complete quality checking of gaps, panel holes and checking of the fixtures flush. Our capabilities in developing high precision manufacturing inspection jigs for automotive assembly components and screw bodies means that our expertise in the trial assembly of automotive Body-In-White and moving parts before mass production exposes problems early on. The implementation of checking fixtures leads to shorter production cycles not only for high quality automotive Body-In-White assembly, but also for new automotive models.
Raising the Jig Quality using Checking Fixtures
To improve the jig quality, we assemble each sub assembly part to the new jig and compare the hole positions to check the jig’s quality and ensure that they match the sub assembly.
Body In White Checking Fixture
Door Checking Fixture
Trunk Checking Fixture
Automotive Body-In-White Assembly System Features
Geopallet – Transfers parts down the assembly line, drops off finished parts and transfers picked-and-placed new parts to minimize production cycle time
Multi-jigs – The use of different jigs for each vehicle model allows several vehicles models to be assembled on a single line sharing the same layout, transfer system and robots. All tools are designed and manufactured in house with an optimized design to ensure the quickest changeover.
Automotive Body-In-White Welding Assembly Line Project Experience
Body-In-White Welding Assembly Project Reference (Includes Hemming System and BIW Checking Fixture)
Automotive Main Body Welding Assembly Line Project:
- 4 vehicle models assembled on one shared assembly line with changeable tooling and geopallets.
- A welding assembly line consisting of a wind mill unit that allows multiple models to be produced on one skid. It includes a main buck system and a roof buck system and is driven by a servo motor.
- 20 automotive body build line stations and 20 respot stations.
- A cycle time of 55 seconds.
Automotive Body-In-White Welding Assembly Line Layout
Automotive Under Body and Side Body Assembly Line
- 11 Stations with 7 linear cell stations
- Vehicle type geo-pallet used for smooth operation
- Linear motor system used
Automotive Under Body and Side Body Assembly Line Layout
Automotive Door Assembly Line Project (Hemming)
- Hybrid hemming system is used – hemming press and robot roller hemming
- 4 Vehicle model doors are hemmed and assembled
Automotive Door Assembly Line – Hybrid Hemming System Layout
Automotive Body-In-White Main Assembly
- Focused on assembly of 1 Vehicle model using slide gate buck and an under shuttle for transfer
- Cycle time of 1800 seconds
Sub-frame | Structural Crossmember Assembly
As a chassis component assembly and structural assembly provider we understand that preventing localized stress concentration is a key to reliable chassis quality. We have applied our knowledge and experience of precision tooling design and manufacturing accumulated over decades to our robotic chassis component assembly and structural crossmember assembly lines. Our chassis assembly lines consist of in-house designed jigs and fixtures to accurately position chassis components for welding. Our tooling design and manufacturing capabilities also minimize the issue of factory space constraints for chassis assembly lines. Our solid background as a fixture and tooling manufacturer for robotic assembly systems is one of the reasons why our clients come to us for robotic chassis assembly line solutions. Our modularized assembly systems ensure quick return on your assembly line investment by making the line as versatile as the clients’ needs.
Tooling Design and Manufacturing Capability for Body in White and Chassis
Body-In-White and Chassis Tooling Project Overview
Chassis Component Assembly Project Images
- Coupled Torsion Beam Axle Assembly Line (CTBA): CTBA is widely used as a chassis underbody package because of its light weight and compact size.
Coupled Torsion Beam Axle Welding Line Layout
Assembled Coupled Torsion Beam Axle
Couple Torsion Beam Axle Assembly Line
2. Front Crossmember Assembly Line
Front Crossmember Assembly Line Layout
Front Crossmember Assembly
3. Rear Member Assembly Line Layout
Rear Member Assembly
Copyright © 2023 LPR Global. All Rights Reserved. Automotive Body-In-White & Chassis Assembly System